On our trip to London, we've stayed close to Lesnes Abbey. As we were only a few minutes away, we've decided to do one of our morning walks at the abbey. To our surprise, the ruins were bigger than we've expected and they looked really nice. There is a big park with lovely views and a few picnic tables.
Lesnes Abbey was founded in 1178. It was closed by Cardinal Wolsey in 1525 because it had less than 8 monks. The revenue saved by closing these monasteries would be used to fund Oxford Collage. After a couple of decades it was stripped of building materials and in the 17th century was sold to Christ's Hospital. It was bought in 1930 by London County Council. It was opened as a park a year later.